Immigration information

The process of moving to Sweden from another country comes with a lot of paperwork that has to be done correctly to help make the move as smooth as possible.

What kind of paperwork and what criteria you need to fulfill differs depending on several things such as your reason for moving here, what country you come from and how you mean to support yourself and your family. 

To help you make this process as easy as possible we have collected links to the Swedish authorities you need to be in contact with. Make sure you have all the documentation you leave you current country since it can cause problems and difficulties if you don't. 

Migrationsverket (the Swedish Migration Board) where you need to apply for permission to stay in the country. (Because of the current situation with many refugees you need to take into consideration that the office turnaround time might be longer than normal).

Skatteverket (the Swedish Tax Agency) where you need to apply for a personal identification number which you will need for almost everything in Sweden such as opening a bank account, buy an insurance, employment, be part of the social security system and many more things. When you get the number you will also be registrated at your living address in your municipality. 

Arbetsförmedlingen (the public Employment Office) have the main assignment of matching employees with employers, but will also help guide you if you want to start a business. You also need to be registered there to be included in the public unemployment insurance system. 

Försäkringskassan (the National Insurance Office) when you are registered as a resident in Sweden you will be part of the social security system and is entitled to child allowance, medical and dental care. 

How to apply for a residence permit if you are a long-term resident of the EU.

General information about useful forms for social security rights when moving within the EU.

Socialstyrelsen (the National Board of Health and Welfare) is the agency that will evaluate your education and deicide weather you are licensed to practice your profession in Sweden and if not, what kind of additional education you will need to fulfill your specific profession’s demands. 

Verksamt is a digital guide for starting, developing and closing businesses and companies in Sweden. 

Transportstyrelsen (the Swedish Transport Agency) has information about importing cars to Sweden and also information about the obligations and rights that comes with owning a car.

Jordbruksverket (Swedish Board of Agriculture) has information about bringing and importing animals to Sweden and rules of animal welfare.